Maison Gagnerot was founded in 1802. In 1864 Marie, Jean-Baptiste's only daughter, married François Capitain, merchant, originally from Champlitte. Together, Jean-Baptiste and François founded the Maison Capitain-Gagnerot. After the phylloxera crisis which ravaged the Burgundy vineyard in the years 1870 to 1880, Marie, then a widow, decided to keep the estate and replant it. Succession has been from father to son.